Arudra Darshanam or Tiruvadirai is celebrated when the Star Arudra coincides with the full moon night of the Tamil month Margazhi (Dec-Jan).
Thiruvadirai is majorly celebrated with great enthusiasm in Chidambaram where there is a shrine dedicated solely to Lord Nataraja. All day there are holy baths and pujas conducted in the temples. At the end of the day a special dish known as Kazhi is offered to the Lord.
This Thiruvathirai kazhi is made of rice, jaggery, moong dal, coconut, cardomam and ghee. Let us all make this Prasadam for our beloved Lord Nataraja!
- Wash rice : Fry the rice to golden brown
- Grind the rice to the coarse powder
- Soak moong dal
- Cook the moong dal in a open pan
- Grate 1 cup of coconut and roast half of the grated coconut along with cashews to golden brown
- Dissolve jaggery in water
- Add cooked moong dal to the jaggery syrup and allow it to boil
- Add the grated coconut
- Add the rice powder to the jaggery mixture and stir continuously
- Tiruvadirai Kazhi is ready for offering!